Thank you for your choice to Adopt!
Congratulations on your decision to adopt a pet. Every year, millions of healthy animals in the United States are euthanized due to a lack of good homes. Your decision to adopt a pet, whether it be a puppy/kitten, special needs pet, or a senior makes you part of a solution to end this tragedy. You can set an example to your friends and family, that adopting a pet saves a life!! Be proud of your decision!
Are you Ready?
Adopting a pet can be more work, but it can give you the same outcome!! Someone to love you and your family unconditionally! Pets are living longer than ever now due to our advances in modern medicine and quality of our resources. Cats now are living up to 20 years old!! Small breed dogs are living 15-20 years now, even the large breeds are living up to 10-15 years!! That's amazing and big commitment on your part.
Some of the animals that we rescue come from horrible backgrounds. Keep that in mind when you introduce them at home. Most animals need an adjustment period from one week to several months. These animals will require time, training, patience, even adjustments to your lifestyle. Are you ready for the responsibility of caring for a pet?
All animals require food, water, shelter, vaccines, annual exams, monthly preventatives, and other veterinary care. Proper care can add up. Are you ready for the additional expenses of caring for a pet?
Are your other pets current on vaccines and health care? Do all your dogs have a current license?
Choosing a Pet
It's important to think carefully about your lifestyle and choose a pet that's a good match for you and your family. Too often we fall in love with a cute face, only to be disappointed when you realize the animal you selected is too active, sedate, challenging for your household. All of our adoptable animals are listed under the Adoptable Animals Section.
All of our pets live in our home or foster homes. These pets are not in kennels 24/7, which allows us to get to know them on a very personal level. This sets us apart from other shelters, because we are able to see them in a natural environment. Allowing us to match our pets with the best adoption application.
How does the Adoption Process Work?
1) Complete and Submit an adoption application (there is one for each type of pet: cat vs. dog). It's important you fill out the application completely - incomplete apps are the number one reason for delays in the process. You can find both types (cat and dog) adoption applications right here on our website!!
2) Once you have submitted your application, we will contact the references you listed on your application (please let the people listed know that we will be calling them), including your veterinarian. Please be sure this information is accurate and that you included the correct phone number. Please contact your veterinarian to let them know that we will be contacting them. New privacy laws require that you give your consent before your information can be released.
3) In some cases, Underdog Animal Rescue may request to have a home visit to your house. There are many reasons why this may happen and should not be a cause of concern on the part of the adopter.
4) Once the approval process is COMPLETE, we will schedule a time that you meet the pet(s). Please keep in mind that we have several Foster Homes, and will need to coordinate accordingly. Adopters are expected to travel to meet the pet in their home environment. This allows the adopter to see how the pet acts in a relaxed environment that they are comfortable in. Parking lot meetings or bringing the pet to your home can often be stressful and isn't good representation of how the pet will act after a few weeks of transition.
5) After the meet & greet and you're a purr-fect match. It's just the means of signing some paperwork, and you are able to take your new family member home!!
*** The approval process can take place in a few days, or may take longer, depending on availability of your references. If you have not received a response on your application within a week, please email us at: email@example.com to report the problem. ***
Adopt A Pet
Underdog Animal Rescue, Inc.